Thursday, March 19, 2009

How will I raise $10,000 for a microfinance project?


Filipino Trust Bank

In September I committed to raise AU$10,000 for an Opportunity International project against poverty for a group in the Philippines. And right now I only have a few months left and a little under $9,000 to raise. Eeeeek. So - in case you're wondering - what am I going to do?

1. I'm hoping to receive some funding through a special program at work for volunteers. This could provide around $1600 worth of funds to this project.

2. I will be making a significant donation myself. I believe in this program and the hope it offers these people - not just to create their own businesses - but to transform them and their communities with a long term solution. I'll be putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak!

3. Even if I only raise AU$5,000 I can still partner with another Opportunity Ambassador volunteer to achieve our goals. Opportunity International recognises that the current economic climate is making it more difficult for volunteers to raise funds, so although I initially committed to raising AU$10k I will be simply be raising as much as I can before June 30th 2009. If I raise less than $5000 the money will still go towards Opportunity International projects, however I'd still like to think that the $10,000 goal can be achieved by the end of June :)

So how can you help?

You can help me reach this goal, making a difference to a community of entrepreneurial poor, by donating to my Chipin fundraiser by credit card or paypal. People around the world have donated anything from $10 to $100 each. If you live in Australia your donation will be tax deductible. My request is genuine, as you can see on Opportunity International's official website.

Alternatively you can purchase quality greeting cards or wall prints with all proceeds (approximately 20% ) going to this project.

Finally - please spread the word by linking to this site or my Chipin on your social networks, tell your friends, and if you have any ideas on great webby ways to fundraise, please let me know. It's not easy!