Monday, March 2, 2009

Marching On

My how time flies when your raising funds. It's already March and I still have a significant amount of money to raise so that a group of individuals in the Philippines can get out of poverty.

"Of the 91 million people living in the Philippines, 43% survive on US$2 or less a day."

My next creative event is around the corner and there are only 8 days let for people to take a few minutes and submit photos for the exhibition, and I'm not how much more I can promote the event without becoming "spammy". The Shout Out event is on in less than 2 weeks and while I'm excited about the exhibition and speaker, I really wish I had more people RSVPing at this stage.

Some moments I wonder what on earth I am doing - I'm a very busy mum with young children, life is full between family, work, commitments in my community and everything else. I haven't coordinated an event like this for a loooong time but the thought that doing this might raise even a little bit of money towards the project keeps me going. It's a JOURNEY - that's for sure.

Anyhow, I have written up a blurb about Shout Out Social because a special guest will be joining us! Here 'tis - please come along!

Shout Out Social promises to be a special two hour event for anyone interested in the arts and community development. This celebration of the creative voice will include a digital exhibition of images and words created by people around the world, and a video message from the inspiring visual journalist Eileen Clegg. Special guest speaker, actor and playwright Shahin Shafaei will be there to share some words, drawing upon his incredible personal story.

Shahin Shafaei

Shahin Shafaei

Shahin Shafaei, an acclaimed actor and playwright in his native home of Iran fled his country after having his work banned. He found his way to Australia in 2000 through Indonesian people smugglers, and ended up spending 22 months at Curtin immigration detention center in WA - 10 of those months in isolation. These days Shahin continues his creative work and empowers others to share their own amazing stories through the arts.

This special event will be held one night only - Saturday 14th March 5pm to 7pm at Horse Bazaar in Melbourne (which kicks on until late.) Entry is free and a donation box will be available to raise funds for a Opportunity International Australia project.

You still have your chance to submit photos or artwork to the Flickr group.
RSVP to the event on Facebook or help to spread the word by becoming a Fan! Please tell your friends and come along to be inspired and help make a difference!