Thursday, December 18, 2008

What is Microfinance? First thing I think of is...

I thought I'd do a little informal research and get an idea of what people think microfinance is all about.

I asked the question over on Linkedin and so far answers include:

"Microfinance is basically purchases made in small bundles. Like in $0.10 increments. It is very popular already in video games and on social networks.

"When I hear "microfinance," I think of small loans given to people who are starting small businesses, or who are located in poor areas or countries.

"it's about businesses too small to be in the crosshairs of a bank, much less an angel investor. Yet some businesses just need a few hundred bucks to get going, if you can believe it.

"I think "boring". I am more interested in the big bucks business.

"I believe the assumption is that its in the context of the developing world


What do you think, when you think microfinance? Would love to know your honest answer.

Also, there's just a little over 2 days left to enter the Beyond creative challenge. A short post or photo could win you a wonderful prize - and at this stage the odds are good!!