Thursday, February 12, 2009

Suffering and Compassion

This week has been emotional and devastating to so many Australians due to the ferocious bushfires that tore through our countryside (and continue to burn). Our nation is grieving for the hundreds of lives lost through fires. I am deeply saddened by the tragic loss and pain of so many.



The response by Australians and our friends overseas is heartening and comforting. Walking through the city, you see signs from businesses trying to raise money for the victims. Our preschool is having a fundraising week and our community is finding ways to help victims now, and ongoing. Corporate Australia is assisting. People everywhere are pulling together to find ways to help, however they can. I created a list of ways to help on my regular blog Wonderwebby and now up-to-date information can be found on http://www.fireupdates.org/ Our volunteer firefighters, the CFS, SES, Department of Human Services, Salvos, Red Cross....all doing such an amazing, incredible job in helping those suddenly in desperate need.

These tragic events have also led me to consider my fundraising efforts for Opportunity Australia. The great need of those living overseas in poverty continues. Still, I can't bring myself to do any publicity this week for the fundraising event I was planning. I'm considering canceling it or postponing for the moment while we grieve and come to terms with the great loss our state has endured. The hearts and minds of Victorians right now are focused on ways to help our neighboring communities. I will persevere with my ambassadorship shortly, but this week my heart also goes out to those affected by the Victorian Bushfires. Thank you to the many who are helping.